Instructions for Cleaning Builford Products
- DO NOT dry clean
- DO NOT machine wash
- DO NOT tumble dry (no dryer)
- DO NOT use soap or detergent of any kind
- DO NOT use solvents or bleach
- DO NOT iron or starch
- DO NOT force dry or expose to a direct flame
- DO NOT expose to direct sunlight for a long period of time (such as rear car window).
※ Doing any of these will damage or remove the proofing and may void the product’s warranty.
Regular cleaning not only enhances the appearance of your garment or bag, it also removes dust and dirt that can cause premature wear.
Regular cleaning also prevents dirt build-up from becoming irremovable stains.
- REMOVE dried mud, sand and grit as soon as possible especially along inner sleeve seams, as these are abrasive.
- HOSE OFF or SPONGE WIPE with cold water only.
- If dirt is ground in, gently brush it off with a soft bristled brush and then rinse.
- HANG TO DRY naturally and completely for at least 24 hours in a dry, well-ventilated area.
- Refinish the entire product after cleaning.
- Be sure that the products are CLEAN and DRY.
Lay it on a flat surface and apply the cream sparingly with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth.
- Try using a hair dryer to WARM the cream on the cloth and on the products as you apply it.
This will make the application easier and more uniform.
- SPREAD Martexin Original Wax refinishing compound evenly, working it into the fabric in a circular motion.
DO NOT coat the surface too thickly or it will not be able to absorb it all. Seams and worn areas will require more cream.
- WIPE OFF EXCESS cream and hang products to dry overnight in a well-ventilated area.
- The next day, spread out any excess oil not absorbed. Apply more cream to areas that still appear shiny or dry.
Most waxed products will need regular refinishing within a year if worn frequently, or even sooner if you notice that the products are drying out due to exposure to the elements.
Uneven, shiny or dry areas, or where moisture no longer beads, is a good indicator to refinish those specific areas.
It is not necessary to refinish the entire products unless it has been washed. By refinishing Builford waxed cotton bags or jacket, you can bring back its original water-resistant finish.
On top of prolonging the life of the Builford, refinishing will also revive the fabric’s color and help to prevent holes from forming along the seams of the products.
Garments can be brought to “as new” condition with an easy application of Martexin Original Wax refinishing compound (cream).
Originally the waxed products are completely waterproof, however, these days Builford has launched a mid-waxed material more suitable for daily life and high fashion items.
To obtain a higher lever of waterproof, a thick coat of Martexin Original Wax Refinishing Compound must be applied.
Avoid contact between the waxed cotton and light-colored leather car seats.
As a precaution only, we recommend that you avoid all contact with leather seats for the first couple of weeks after purchase or after refinishing.
Once the natural weathering process begins, the garment will feel dryer and softer and it will then be safe to resume normal use.
To ensure the longevity of your wax cotton coat or jacket, be sure to only store clean, fully dried refinishing garments.
Items stored not completely dried or stored in a humid area may develop mildew. Once stored, regularly inspect the products for mildew.
To store bags or jacket
- Hang it in a dry, cool and well-ventilated space, or
- Fold and roll your garment for storage in a dry, cool and well-ventilated space.